6 Tips for a successful Year End Close
- Back Up Your Data - before you begin any year end process, be sure to execute a complete back up of your database. You should also test the back up to ensure it was successful and the data is readable. The only way to “reverse” year end processing is to restore your data from a backup. So do it now!
- Check Your Version Number - closing procedures can vary depending on the version of Sage 300 (or “Accpac”) you’re currently running. Check your version number and service pack before starting year end processing.
- Create a New Fiscal Calendar - Sage 300 allows you to begin entering transactions for the new year without closing out the current year. Simply create a new fiscal calendar in Common Services > Fiscal Calendar and then click the New icon. If the period date ranges are correct, then Save the year. Do this before entering transactions for 2019.
- General Ledger Closing - While it’s a good idea to close modules in a timely fashion, your General Ledger can remain open as long as you need while awaiting final processing (or audit adjustments) in other modules.
- Check Data Retention Settings - Sage 300 will retain historical data based on your software version and the settings you’ve configured in each module. So it’s a good idea to review all module and system settings to avoid the unintended loss/purge of important data during year end close. In particular, check GL Options to see how many years of history your system is set up to retain.
- Remember, We’re Here to Help - As you begin year end closing procedures and prepare to start fresh in 2019, be sure to contact us if you need assistance during this important time of year. As your software and technology partner, we’re here to help!
How to create a database backup in Sage 300
- Click the Start button, highlight Programs, then Sage 300, Tools, and click Database Dump.
- Type the password for the Admin user in Sage 300, then click the OK button.
- Click to highlight the database that you want to Dump. Click the Set Directory button to enter the location where you want to save the files.
- Click OK. You'll return to the Dump Sage 300 ERP Data screen.
- Click the Dump button to proceed. A confirmation message will appear. Click OK to continue.
- A Dataset Description screen will display in which an optional description of the database may be entered. Enter a description, then click Done.
To see this full backup process in action, watch the Sage 300 backup video demonstration on YouTube.
Contact us if you have questions or need assistance with your year end closing.