- Back Up Your Data - before you begin any year end process, be sure to execute a complete back up of your database. You should also test the back up to ensure it was successful and the data is readable. The only way to "reverse" year end processing is to restore your data from a backup. So do it now!
- Check Your Version Number - closing procedures can vary depending on the version of Sage 300 ERP (or "Accpac") you're currently running. So be sure to check your version number and service pack before starting year end.
- Create a New Fiscal Calendar - Sage 300 allows you to begin entering transactions for the new year without closing out the current year. But you must first create a new fiscal calendar in Common Services before entering transactions for 2013.
- General Ledger Closing - While it's a good idea to close modules and purge historical data in a timely fashion, your General Ledger can remain open as long as you need while awaiting final processing in other modules or audit adjustments.
- Check Data Retention Settings - Sage 300 ERP retains historical data based on the version you're running and the settings you've configured in each module. So it's a good idea to review your module and system settings so you don't lose important data during year end close. In particular, check GL Options to see how many years of history your system is set up to retain.
- Remember, We’re Here to Help - As you begin year end closing procedures and prepare to start fresh in 2013, be sure to contact us if you need assistance during this important time of year. As your software and technology partner, we're here to help!
Get the Whole Scoop
This post is an article that appeared in our Sage 300 ERP newsletter for Year End 2012. To see all the articles in this newsletter issue, click the thumbnail image below.
Other Sage 300 year end processing articles you might be interested in:
Sage 300 ERP - The Year in Review
Closing Procedure Checklists for Sage 300 ERP
Sage 300 ERP Tax Updates
Locking Fiscal Periods in Sage 300 ERP
10 Reasons to Upgrade to Sage 300 ERP 2012
What's New in Sage CRM?